2022 SUBMISSIONS CLOSED: 2023 Schedule TBA
No Set Theme
TO SUBMIT, PLEASE DO FOUR THINGS:
(1) Read About Kakalak on this website.
(2) Read Kakalak’s Judging Process on this website.
(3) Read these instructions step by step.
(4) Use “PAY NOW” button below to submit.
ART CONTEST GUIDELINES
1. Eligibility: Anyone
2. How/What to Submit:
- A submission is 1 to 4 pieces of art.
- Send up to 4 pieces of artwork by email as separate JPEG attachments.
- We accept any style, virtually any subject. (See Kakalak’s Judging Process for more details.)
- Submit artwork to Kakalak@carolina.rr.com. Include your name in the subject line.
Example: “Mattie May Art Submission for Kakalak 2022.”
- In the body of your email, include the following:
- Your full name as you want it to appear in Kakalak 2022
- Your name as it is submitted to us by PayPal
- Phone number
- Email address
- USPS mailing address—If accepted, needed to mail your copy
- Titles of submissions—Exactly as you want them to appear in our publication.
- Medium of artwork entered—Give medium of artwork itself when photographing your own art; denote medium as “photography” for all other photos (including photographs of other individuals’ artwork).
- Multiple submissions are allowed with a separate entry fee for each group of up to 4 pieces.
- We accept unpublished work and work that has not won a monetary prize in another contest.
We define “unpublished” as not previously appearing in a print or online publication.
(See Kakalak’s Judging Process for more details.)
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify us immediately if your piece is accepted elsewhere.
3. TYPES OF ENTRIES CONSIDERED
- Any type of visual art from acrylics, watercolors, charcoal, and photography to photographic representations of sculptures, ceramics, and installations.
- Color and black and white accepted. Note all images accepted for publication will be published in black and white, except for the cover art.
- Name your image file the title of your artwork. Note your art will be required to have a title (“untitled” not acceptable).
- Do NOT include any personal information on the image itself. Please, if your art is signed, “blackout” the signature on the submission file.
- VERTICAL photos are PREFERRED for inside—We accept horizontal art for inside, but vertical art is better highlighted since the page size limits images to 4 inches wide.
- HORIZONTAL photos are REQUIRED for cover—We only consider horizontal artwork on the cover because it must wrap front to back and bleed on all edges.
- Inside Photo Requirements—Provide a JPEG file with a resolution of 300 dpi and at least 4” x 6” in size.
- Cover Photo Requirements—Provide a JPEG file with a resolution of 300 dpi and at least 12” x 9” in size.
Click on link below to remit your non-refundable viewing fee of $12 per submission via PayPal or credit card. A group of 1 to 4 pieces of art counts as one submission. We will forward submissions to the judges upon receipt of payment.
NOTE: 2022 Submissions are closed
First Prize: $300
Second Prize: $150
Third Prize: $75
Honorable Mentions: $20
NOTE: Any piece chosen as cover art is also eligible to receive one of the other art prizes.
All those accepted for publication receive one free copy of the published book.
Payment of prizes is contingent upon artists’ granting first-time publication rights to MOONSHINE REVIEW PRESS for publication in KAKALAK 2022. Prize money is paid at time of publication. After publication, artists agree that, should their artwork be published again elsewhere, they will acknowledge KAKALAK 2022 as the place of first publication.
Anne M. Kaylor
Executive Editor & Publisher